By: Matt Rothman
J.P. Taravella High School honored its seniors on Tuesday, which featured three teams picking up wins.
The boys soccer team honored six seniors Leos Kennedy, Zach Zub, Chrisley Flerismond, Kenan Malme, Dorian Miller, and Daniel Freay.
They fell 1-0 against Nova High School and head into the postseason with a record of 5-9-2. Their wins this year have come against Piper, Miramar, Charles W. Flanagan, Coral Springs Charter, and Hallandale High School. They also outscored their opponents 17-1 in those five games but ended up falling to Coral Glades 3-2 in the first round of the District Tournament.
The JPT girl soccer team recorded a 3-1 win on Senior Day. The Trojans honored Danielle Tigner, Breanna Holmes Alyssa Merisier, Adamarie Cruz, Toosha Tookes, Brooke Herzog, and Jadeisa Franck.
This was the Trojan’s tenth win of the season, with Meriser recording two goals and Mia-Marshall Hewitt scoring one and finishing leafing the District in points with 34. Celeste added two assists, while Meriser had one.
Next, the boys soccer team will face Coral Glades in the play-in game of the District Tournament on Wednesday, Jan. 25, while the girls will have a bye in the opening round.
The boys basketball team continued their incredible run by picking up their fourth straight win on Senior Night. They beat Piper and have also won 13 of their past 16 games.
The Trojans honored Nickson Clerisier, Caleb Theodule, Grayson Samuel, Vincent Lancifort, Kani Poisson, Jordan Evans, Jordan Pratt, Samuel Smith, and Timothy Bozeman.
These seniors have really embraced me and bought into what I’m about as a coach,” said Head Coach Eric Kapel. “It was an amazing senior night, and our seniors stepped up in a big way.”
Next, they will play Calvary Christian Academy Gold on Thursday, Jan. 26 a 7:30 p.m.
In their final home game of the season, the girls basketball team picked up a win on Tuesday during Senior Night.
The Trojans also picked up their third win of the season with a 66-11 victory over Stranahan High School. Seniors Naciel Garcia, Isabel Burgos, and Nicolle Sanchez-Stoll were recognized before the game.
JPT now has a record of 3-10 this year and previously beat Coral Glades and Plantation High School this year. The Trojans will play one more game before the District Tournament on Thursday, Jan. 26, at 4:30 p.m. against Calvary Christian Academy. The Eagles are 2-14 with wins over NSU University and Fort Christian High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 2023J.P. Taravella Basketball Teams Highlight Week of Success With 1st Win
- NewsNovember 19, 2023TS Aquatics Swimmers Shine in Postseason Competitions
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Tawannah McLemore Leads The Way For J.P. Taravella Swim Team in State Championship
- NewsNovember 9, 20233 J.P. Taravella Baseball Players Officially Sign Letter of Intent