By Kevin Deutsch
Broward County Public Schools reported 3,143 new COVID-19 cases during May, the second-highest monthly total since school began in August, school records show.
At least 1,169 students and 1,474 employees tested positive for confirmed cases of COVID-19 in May, according to the school district’s COVID-19 data dashboard.
Since the first day of school, Aug. 18, 2021, 17,161 coronavirus infections have been confirmed by county schools: 10,051 student cases and 7,110 employee cases as of June 4, the records show.
The only month this year in which the monthly case total was higher was January, when Broward schools reported 6,232 confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to the dashboard.
The May schools surge arrived amid a new wave of coronavirus infections impacting South Florida and the rest of the U.S.
Broward County reported a COVID-19 test positivity rate of 23.9 percent as of Friday, according to the federal government.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have officially classified all of Florida as having a “high” level of virus transmission.
According to the CDC, an omicron variant known as B.A.2.12.1 is driving the current coronavirus wave.
May case totals for Tamarac schools reporting at least one COVID-19 case:
Millennium 6-12 Collegiate Academy reported 22 cases.
Discovery Elementary School reported 23 cases.
Pinewood Elementary School reported eight cases.
Tamarac Elementary School reported 19 cases.
J.P. Taravella High School reported 119 cases.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Lauderhill Toy Giveaway Aims to Spread Holiday Joy
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Lauderhill Hosts Dive-In Movie: ‘Jingle All the Way’
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Virtual Forum Simplifies Tax Mysteries for Residents and Businesses in Lauderhill
- NewsNovember 26, 2023Free Jazz Event Heads to Lauderhill