By Ryan Yousefi
A youth summer camp was reportedly placed on lockdown early this morning as law enforcement responded to the scene of a possible active shooting.
According to an internal letter obtained by Tamarac Talk from City of Tamarac spokesperson Eunicia Baker and addressed to Mayor Michell J. Gomez and city commissioners, the Broward Sheriff’s Office and Tamarac Fire and Rescue responded to the Tamarac Recreation Center at approximately 8:10 a.m. this morning after receiving reports of a gun discharge and a possible gunshot wound victim at the site of the City’s Youth Summer Camp located at 7501 N University Dr.
Upon arrival, law enforcement officers apprehended a partially nude male exhibiting unusual behavior. Still, upon further investigation, it was quickly determined that no gun discharge had taken place, and there were no victims of the alleged gunshot.
Deputies at the scene believe that the man taken into custody may have been under the influence of drugs or experiencing a mental health episode.
As a precautionary measure, the individual was Baker-Acted, a process that allows for involuntary examination and treatment of individuals in Florida who may be suffering from mental illness and present a danger to themselves or others.
The man was transported to HCA Woodmont Hospital for further evaluation and care.
Amidst the confusion, the city’s Youth Summer Camp was placed on lockdown as the investigation took place. According to information available at this time, no campers or staff were harmed during the ordeal.
Lockdown measures have since been lifted, and an “all-clear” status has been issued for the area.
Further updates from Tamarac Talk may follow as the situation unfolds.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsFebruary 22, 2024BSO Rallies to Safeguard Seniors with Scam Prevention Event
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024From Prison to Prayer: Dr. Yehudah Pryce’s Path to Spirituality and Judaism
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Chamber Invites Local Businesses to Kings Point Expo on February 26
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Broward Sheriff’s Office to Host Gun Safety Class Geared Toward Child Firearm Education