By Agrippina Fadel
The Broward Sheriff’s Office joins the national “Tip-A-Cop” fundraiser to support Special Olympics Florida.
Officers will join Special Olympics athletes to act as “celebrity waiters” at Applebee’s on 6005 N. University Drive on Tuesday, April 19, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.; and again at Rob’s Bageland at 8217 N. Pine Island Road on Saturday, April 30, from 9 to 11 a.m.
Barry Berhow, Deputy Community Service Aide said BSO had to forgo the in-person fundraiser in the past two years because of Covid-19 precautions, and that officers, restaurant staff, and residents are all excited to be able to get together again for a good cause.
“BSO responds to a lot of reactive situations, so it is great to have a chance to do something proactive and show a positive side of law enforcement to the community,” he said, adding that Tip-A-Cop fundraiser is always a lot of fun and attracts a lot of locals and restaurant regulars.
For Tip-A-Cop, officers first meet with the restaurant staff before the events and discuss how they can be helpful.
“They serve water and bus tables but also give out flyers about the Special Olympics and the fundraiser and have a lot of positive interactions with the patrons,” said Berhow.
He said fundraisers had raised from $500 to $1500 on a single day in the past years, and BSO hopes the residents will come out to have a nice meal, meet their local officers, and support a great cause.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2022.05.19Tamarac Social Justice Wall Will Include James Sistrunk, Jackie Robinson, and President Kennedy
- News2022.05.19Dog of the Week: Macarena is the Life of the Party
- News2022.05.162022 RISE Expo Brings the Business Community Together
- News2022.05.12Operation Swim Teaches Residents Water Safety