By Kevin Deutsch
Tamarac deputies last week busted a man for allegedly stealing and carrying a loaded pistol stolen in the city, court records show.
Jarvis Merritt, 33, of Fort Lauderdale, was pulled over July 3 for driving his gray Mercedes Benz with an invalid tag, according to an arrest affidavit filed by the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
After the traffic stop happened in the 4900 block of Northwest 31st Avenue, deputies searched the car and found a black Glock 17 pistol loaded with 15 nine-millimeter rounds.
The gun was hidden under the driver’s seat and accessible for immediate use, deputies wrote.
A records check revealed the pistol was reported stolen on Sept. 28, 2021, in Tamarac.
Merritt told deputies he purchased the gun four to six months ago but did not know it was stolen, according to the affidavit.
Deputies seized the gun and charged Merritt with grand theft of a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm.
Records show he was booked into the Broward Main Jail and released on a $3,000 bond.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.26Tamarac Crime Update: Carjacking and Drug Overdose
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Man Had Sex With Child, Solicited Explicit Photos
- News2022.12.18Tamarac Crime Update: Burglar Uses Rock to Smash Store Window, Steal Merchandise
- News2022.12.10Tamarac Crime Update: Four Vehicles Stripped of Tires, Rims