By Kevin Deutsch
Homicide detectives are investigating two murders and the suicide of one of the victim’s apparent killers in Tamarac, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
The first killing happened around 3 p.m. Wednesday in the 9300 block of Northwest 57th Street in Tamarac, where authorities rushed after receiving a phone call about an unresponsive woman, according to BSO.
BSO Tamarac district deputies and Tamarac Fire Rescue soon determined the woman was dead, authorities said.
BSO Homicide Unit and Crime Scene detectives were notified and continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the killing, authorities said.
The second killing happened as part of an apparent murder-suicide that left a man and woman dead early Thursday morning, according to BSO.
Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives identified the suspect in the shooting as Russell Gardner, 39, of the 5800 block of Hampton Hills Boulevard. He is believed to have shot a woman to death inside the residence, according to BSO.
Neither the woman’s name nor her relationship to Gardner were made public by authorities.
Deputies responded to the residence after receiving a 911 hang-up call. At the scene, they contacted a child on the second floor of the home, went inside, and found the dead man and woman on the kitchen floor, authorities said.
Four children, ranging from 5 months old to 11 years old, were inside the residence at the time.
All were unharmed, according to BSO.
According to detectives, preliminary information shows that the female victim was shot multiple times, and Gardner sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound. However, the official cause and manner of death will be determined by the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office.
No additional information was made public in the murder-suicide case.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2023.06.04Teen Killed in Tamarac Crash Remembered as ‘Ray of Sunshine’
- News2023.06.02Woman Steals Ambulance in Tamarac, Causes 2 Car Accidents
- News2023.05.31Crash Claims the Life of 18-Year-Old Coral Springs Man: Investigation Underway
- News2023.05.315 People Injured in Tamarac Crash, Taken to Area Hospitals