By Ryan Yousefi
A Tamarac man is now facing charges of felony domestic assault by strangulation following allegations that he choked his brother during a disagreement over travel expenses.
On August 15, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to the residence in response to the report of an alleged domestic battery.
According to the arrest report, upon arrival at the home near the block of 6000 North Sabal Palm Boulevard, deputies encountered a victim that claimed to have been strangulated by his brother, later identified as Barry Sarnel, 80, of Tamarac.
The victim told deputies a heated argument concerning plane reservations and travel expenses escalated from a verbal confrontation to a physical assault, ending with the victim nearly losing consciousness.
Records show the victim claims Sarnel began the assault by grabbing him by both arms and violently shaking him before placing his hands around the victim’s neck with enough force to restrain him from breathing.
Witnesses told law enforcement that during the strangulation, Sarnel stated, “I am going to f–king kill you,” to the victim.
The victim explained he struggled for air and was on the brink of losing consciousness, fearing for his life. Evidence in the medical report shows that the victim sustained a medium-sized gash on his right forearm that began to bleed profusely during the struggle.
Despite his injuries, the victim refused assistance from fire rescue teams.
Upon interview, Sarnel admitted to shaking the victim, though he denied choking him. However, his version of events contradicted the evidence and eyewitness statements.
Sarnel was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Dirty Dog’s Car Wash Opens with Grand Opening Celebration
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Lauderhill’s Mayor Thurston Hosts Move with the Mayor and Fitness Challenge
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Tamarac Man Attempts to Drown Woman in Community Pool
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023BSO North Lauderdale and Home Depot Team Up for ‘Building Bonds’ Children’s Workshop