By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Tamarac is offering high school students a great opportunity to earn service hours while gaining personal satisfaction in helping others.
The Parks and Recreation department has created the “Tamarac Teen Summer Volunteer Program” for students ages 15 – 17 that will run Mondays through Thursdays from June 19, 2017 through August 11, 2017. There will be field trips each week, as well as an educational piece in which they bring in a variety of facilitators or they take them off-site to learn about how different companies operate.
Teens must be available 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. each day for the entire eight weeks of the program, with one week of vacation allowed with advance notice.
To graduate from high school, Broward County public students must earn 40 service hours, and those applying for Florida Bright Futures Scholarships must earn 100. To qualify for a silver cord at graduation, they will need 250 hours.
Interested students will need to fill out an application and include a copy of a current transcript, one letter of recommendation, have their parent’s signature on the application, and sign the teen volunteer pledge form. The total cost of the program is $299 and participants will also receive a shirt. This fee will only apply to those who are accepted into the program. According to Greg Warner Director of Parks and Recreation, the city will not turn anyone away due to the inability to pay. If someone is interested, they can apply for a grant through the City or the Parks and Recreation Foundation.
If accepted, students will be placed in areas based on availability including assisting with the Senior Program, answering phones, working concessions at the pool, assisting with youth sports programs, or filing and other office responsibilities.
The application deadline is Friday, April 28, 2017. Interviews will be conducted the week of May 22, 2017. For more information contact Linda Rambert at email@example.com or 954-597-3648.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.02.03Bite into Bliss and Empower Young Women: Get Your Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies Today
- News2023.02.023 Brave Deputies Risk Lives to Save Woman in Christmas Eve Canal Rescue
- News2023.02.01Choking Prevention Takes Center Stage: Rep Daley Files Bill Proposed by High School Students
- News2023.01.272 Arrested for Robbery and Shooting in North Lauderdale: Victim Remains in Critical Condition