A few hours after surveillance video of a rude, disruptive passenger who punched a bus driver in the face was released, the suspect was identified and turned himself in to police.
Someone recognized Elizajah McKenzie, 18, in the surveillance video that aired on local media Friday afternoon and called Elizajah’s mother. When confronted by his mother, Elizajah denied the allegations. When questioned by Broward Sheriff’s Office Violent Crimes detectives Friday evening, Elizajah said he punched the bus driver because he was mad at him.
Elizajah was arrested and transported to BSO’s Main Jail on one count of battery of a public transit employee.
After a bus driver confronted a disruptive passenger, the passenger punched him in the face and ran.
Now, Broward Sheriff’s Office Violent Crimes detectives are releasing surveillance video in the hopes of identifying the suspect who committed the felony offense.
Broward County Transit driver Peter McKenzie was confronted by an unidentified passenger on September 10 around 9 pm in the 2800 block of West Sunrise Boulevard. McKenzie told BSO investigators he approached the male passenger because he kept pulling the stop line and wouldn’t take his feet off the seat where he was sitting. Words were exchanged between the men, and McKenzie returned to his driver’s seat.
The suspect walked toward the front of the bus, punched McKenzie on the left side of face with a closed fist and ran off the bus headed north on Northwest 28 Avenue.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to call BSO Violent Crimes Det. Scott Erdelyi at (954) 321-4224 or contact Broward Crime Stoppers, anonymously, at (954) 493-TIPS (8477) or online at www.browardcrimestoppers.org.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.01.21The Window for School Choice Applications Shuts February 8
- News2021.01.21No Serious Injuries After Single-Vehicle Crash in Tamarac
- News2021.01.21State COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling System Now Up in Broward County
- News2021.01.19Make-A-Wish Surprises Tamarac Teen with Exclusive Shopping Spree