By Kevin Deutsch
Homicide detectives have arrested a man for fatally stabbing another man in Tamarac on Feb. 11, authorities said Tuesday.
BSO Tamarac deputies and Tamarac Fire Rescue responded to the area of North University Drive and West McNab Road around 6:30 a.m. that day for a report of an injured man in the roadway, who turned out to be the deceased victim, John Lucki, 49, authorities said.
An off-duty Plantation Police sergeant, who was traveling northbound on University Drive, had spotted the naked man, later identified as Lucki, who lived in the 7800 block of Colony Circle in Tamarac, in the middle of the road, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
Lucki was bleeding, and blood-stained clothes lay scattered around him on the roadway, authorities said.
Tamarac Fire Rescue transported Lucki to Broward Health Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
BSO Traffic Homicide detectives responded to the scene since it appeared the victim may have been struck by a vehicle. However, further investigation revealed Lucki was involved in a physical altercation with a man, authorities said.
BSO Homicide Unit detectives determined a fight had taken place between Lucki and that man, later identified as David Vaz, 67, according to BSO.
Detectives said a verbal altercation occurred between the men in the median area of the 7200 block of North University Drive.
The altercation turned physical and Vaz stabbed Lucki with a knife, detectives said.
On Feb.12, detectives located Vaz and transported him to BSO’s Public Safety Building, where detectives said he admitted to stabbing Lucki.
Vaz faces one count of murder, authorities said and was being held without bond Tuesday at the Broward Main Jail.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts