By: Sharon Aron Baron
Michelle Gomez has been chosen to to fill the commission seat once again for Patti Atkins-Grad who resigned just weeks before a recall election was to take place. She was appointed to the seat for over two years when Atkins-Grad was suspended by the Governor on corruption charges in 2010.
After a competitive interview process took place this week with eight other candidates, the four voting members including the mayor was deadlocked between Gomez and Employee Benefit Specialist Mike Gelin. It wasn’t until Commissioner Pam Bushnell moved to change her vote to Gomez that the deadlock broke.
After the swearing in ceremony, Gomez congratulated both Gelin and his family. “I didn’t think I was a shoo-in,” said Gomez to Tamarac Talk, “However, I’m pleased to get back to work and be back in service.” She noted that on Monday the city had a workshop and she was ready to study the agenda for the meeting.
“I’m thrilled that the commission picked the candidate that was as qualified as Gomez and I ‘m sure that she will serve the district well for the remainder of her term,” said Recall Organizer and Tamarac resident Alvin Entin. “I was impressed with the credentials of Mr Gelin and wondered why he never addressed his failure to sign the recall petition. I believe that anybody interested in serving district two should have taken a stand on that issue one way or another.”
The commissioners urged Gelin to stay involved with the city and to run in 2014, which he said he may consider.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2019.10.16Tamarac Holds Huge Halloween Hoopla October 25
- News2019.10.16School Board Member Holds Meet and Greet October 24
- Crime & Safety2019.10.16Police Search for Suspects Who Drugged and Robbed a Man at Hard Rock Casino
- News2019.10.15Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce will host its 5th Annual Golf Tournament