By: Sharon Aron Baron
Michelle Gomez has been chosen to fill the commission seat once again for Patti Atkins-Grad, who resigned just weeks before a recall election was to take place. She was appointed to the seat for over two years when Atkins-Grad was suspended by the Governor on corruption charges in 2010.
After a competitive interview process took place this week with eight other candidates, the four voting members, including the mayor was deadlocked between Gomez and Employee Benefits Specialist Mike Gelin. It wasn’t until Commissioner Pam Bushnell moved to change her vote to Gomez that the deadlock broke.
After the swearing-in ceremony, Gomez congratulated both Gelin and his family. “I didn’t think I was a shoo-in,” said Gomez to Tamarac Talk, “However, I’m pleased to get back to work and be back in service.” She noted that the city had a workshop on Monday, and she was ready to study the agenda for the meeting.
“I’m thrilled that the commission picked the candidate that was as qualified as Gomez, and I ‘m sure that she will serve the district well for the remainder of her term,” said Recall Organizer and Tamarac resident Alvin Entin. “I was impressed with the credentials of Mr. Gelin and wondered why he never addressed his failure to sign the recall petition. I believe that anybody interested in serving district two should have taken a stand on that issue one way or another.”
The commissioners urged Gelin to stay involved with the city and run in 2014, which he said he might consider.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Dog Rescued from Tamarac Dumpster Now Safe with Foster Family