By Sharon Aron Baron
Designed to promote the health benefits and camaraderie of cycling to the local community, residents are invited to the inaugural Bike With Mike Weekend.
Hosted by the City of Tamarac and Commissioner Mike Gelin, the event is held from Saturday, May 22 – Sunday, May 23. in partnership with the Level Up Cycling Movement.
Through the sponsorship by the Broward Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Trust Fund, 50 new bicycles and helmets will be donated to local youth in need to promote the sport of cycling.
Day one of the Bike With Mike weekend consists of three events.
The Tropical Breeze Fondo takes place at 7 a.m. at Tamarac City Hall, located at 7525 NW 88th Ave. This 60-mile timed ride comes with cash prizes totaling $1,000 for the top three cyclists. Plus, 10X National Cycling Champion, Rahsaan Bahati, will join the ride, along with other local and regional professional cyclists. Awards will be presented after the ride.
On Saturday, the second event is a 35-mile ride through Tamarac and neighboring cities, which begins at 7:10 a.m. for amateur and non-competitive riders.
The third event on Saturday is the Tamarac Community Ride, which meets at 9:45 a.m. This 5-mile mass ride through Tamarac will travel at a slower pace designed for cyclists at all levels. It’s a family-friendly party on pedals, emceed by avid cyclist and local radio show host Papa Keith.
The ride will also feature music trucks to keep the excitement rolling along the route. Riders ages eight and older are invited. A parent or guardian must accompany all minors.
The Final Bike With Mike event meets at 6:20 a.m., Sunday, May 23, at the Tamarac Sports Complex, where Level Up Cycling Movement will host ChocLit Pedals, a 50K ride just for women.
Over 75 cyclists are expected to join the ride focused on increasing participation among women and the health and fitness benefits of the sport.
A portion of the funds raised through this charity ride will benefit both Women in Distress of Broward County, Inc. and the Level Up Cycling Movement. The Tamarac Sports Complex is located at 9901 NW 77th St.
Pre-registration forms, fees, routes, and other event details are available at www.Tamarac.org/SpecialEvents. To ensure safety, helmets and masks should be worn during each ride. Additionally, BSO-Tamarac District will be on hand throughout the Bike With Mike activities.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale
- News2023.03.18Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County