By Martin Lenkowsky
Enrollment is now underway for the 2024 Tamarac University (TU) classes.
The eight-week interactive program is designed to give residents a behind-the-scenes look at their city government and how it operates in a classroom-like setting. The program is held every spring.
TU provides the opportunity to visit city facilities and learn from elected officials, department heads, and other city staff members about the role of local government and public service. It serves as a training ground for volunteers and networking opportunities for civic-minded residents.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, January 26, at 5 p.m.
Classes begin Tuesday, March 5, from 6 to 8 p.m. at City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Ave., Tamarac 33321., and run on subsequent Tuesdays from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at various locations. The final class will be held on Tuesday, May. 7.
Participants are expected to attend at least six of the eight scheduled classes.
Applications are reviewed by a committee composed of city staff. Participants will be notified of their acceptance by phone and or email four weeks in advance and will be provided with a complete schedule before the start of the program. Admittance to the program is contingent upon background screening.
During the opening class, students can meet the mayor and city commissioners. Graduation is scheduled for Wednesday, May 8, from 6 to 8 p.m. at City Hall. (In observance of the Passover holiday, no classes will be held on April 23 and 30.
For additional information, email TU@tamarac.org or call 954-597-3904.
- Martin Lenkowsky moved to Coral Springs from NYC in 1982. He has a bachelor’s degree from Brooklyn College. He has been both writer and editor for a number of South Florida publications since 1983. He considers features writing his specialty.
- NewsJanuary 22, 2024Register Now for the 2024 Class of Tamarac University
- NewsJanuary 7, 2024Register Now for the 2024 Class of Tamarac University
- NewsOctober 30, 2023Tamarac Fire Rescue Team Takes 1st Place in International Tournament
- NewsOctober 14, 2023Don’t Miss a Bewitching Pre-Halloween Treat for Pets and Harry Potter Fans at Broward’s Humane Society