By Selene Raj
While his elves are hard at work, and before he has to make his wildly impressive trip around the world in one single night, Santa Claus is taking the time to visit Tamarac. And after he drives through some of the city’s neighborhoods, he’s making an appearance at the official lighting event.
This year, he will be joined by Mayor Michelle Gomez and the rest of the city commission and escorted by Tamarac Fire Rescue and the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
Mostly, they will be traveling on main roads but will also drive through some neighborhoods and parks.
Fans of Santa are encouraged to use the Santa Tracker to see when he’ll be nearby, so they can be ready to wave and take photos since he won’t be able to make any stops during this hectic and social-distant holiday season.
The drive-by event will take place on Saturday, December 5, and begins at 2:00 p.m. at Sunset Point Park. He then travels from west Tamarac to east Tamarac, ending at Caporella Park at 5:30 p.m. At that time, the lighting event will begin.
Those whose homes are not near his route are encouraged to watch virtually. Online, they can also witness the Christmas tree, Menorah, and Kinara being lit by the commission at 6:00 p.m., followed by a performance from Javis Mays, an R&B and Gospel singer.
The tree is going to be 30 feet tall this year. The park will be closed to the public.
Later this month, Santa will also be making Zoom calls.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- NewsDecember 6, 2021Social Club for 55-Plus Caribbean-Americans Launches with First Event
- NewsNovember 23, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsAugust 25, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsMarch 16, 2021Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover