As the new year approaches, I will be passing the BSO torch on to the new sheriff shortly thereafter. It gives me pause to consider what an absolute honor and privilege it has been to serve the citizens of Broward County for the past 35 years.
One of the most memorable experiences I have had was when I was contacted by the governor in 2007 and asked if I would accept the appointment as sheriff of Broward County. The single most memorable experience was when the people of Broward County, through the democratic process, chose me as their sheriff one year later. It was particularly momentous to me, considering that I would be the first sheriff in the 97-year history of the Broward Sheriff’s Office to come up through the ranks. It is something that I will take away from the experience and keep in my heart forever.
Rather than dwell on the well-documented accomplishments of my administration, I want to take this opportunity to thank the people of Broward County for the opportunity to have served as their sheriff with honor, dignity and mutual respect for the past five years.
As I leave this office and my constitutional responsibilities, I would ask all citizens of Broward County to stay involved and up-to-date on issues affecting your community. Please do all that you can to educate, nurture and protect our children. It is our collective responsibility. It is our mandate. As I have said many times during my extensive travels throughout the region speaking with people about various public safety issues, “our children are 30% of our population but they are 100% of our future”.
Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you, and always stay safe.
Broward County Sheriff
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2022.05.25Register for Tamarac’s Memorial Day Ceremony Followed By Live Music May 30
- News2022.05.24Detectives Search for a Missing Tamarac Teen
- News2022.05.18Joey Lanouette Qualifies by Petition for the Tamarac City Commission District 2 Seat
- News2022.05.16Official 2022/23 Broward County Public Schools Color Calendar is Out