By: Matt Rothman
It was a special day for the J.P. Taravella baseball team on Wednesday when six players officially signed their letter of intent to play in college.
“Today is all about these players and parents,” said Head Coach Joe Giummule. “Today, their dreams came true as they are officially signed to further their education and play baseball. Crazy, only 9 percent of high school baseball players go on to play in college, and today these players joined the select few.”
Chris Scinta: University of Miami
Chris Scinta has had a historic career for the Trojans. He has been on the varsity team for three years, won 8 games, and pitched to an ERA of .95 as a junior in 11 appearances.
Jassiel Valbuena: Indian River State College
Jassiel Valbuena is coming off his best season with JPT, helping them secure a spot on regionals. He hit .278 with three doubles and eight runs driven in. Valbuena has also stolen eight bases in his career.
Vincent Samuel: Indian River State College
Vincent Samuel has also been playing on the infield for the past three years with the Trojans. Samuel recorded a home run, eight doubles and drove in 24 runs in 2021.
Matt Rubin: Indian State River College
Matt Rubin becomes the third player to attend Indian River State College and has a career batting average of .390 after hitting .444 as a sophomore. He also has stolen eight bases and has 30 career hits.
Jordan Edwy: Keiser University
Jordan Edwy earned himself a spot in college with his terrific defense behind the plate. He has a strong arm and also had an on-base percentage of .600 this spring.
Jacob Smith: University of Pacific
Before these six seniors head to college, they will all hope to lead JPT back to the postseason and potentially make a run at a State Championship.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 2023J.P. Taravella Basketball Teams Highlight Week of Success With 1st Win
- NewsNovember 19, 2023TS Aquatics Swimmers Shine in Postseason Competitions
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Tawannah McLemore Leads The Way For J.P. Taravella Swim Team in State Championship
- NewsNovember 9, 20233 J.P. Taravella Baseball Players Officially Sign Letter of Intent