By Ryan Yousefi
A man was arrested for assaulting Broward County Sheriff’s Office deputies who caught him stealing a bicycle.
On November 7, deputies from the Broward Sheriff’s Office responded to the Lakeside Plaza at 5401 North State Road 7 following numerous complaints of narcotics and trespassing.
According to the BSO report, the plaza had been a source of concern for businesses and patrons, prompting a recent increase in police presence.
According to records, a deputy, driving a marked patrol vehicle through the plaza, observed a man, later identified as Shazzar Ahmad Bobanyani Sattar, 23, of Sunrise, slumped over the Lakeside Plaza sign. The deputy exited the patrol vehicle to make contact with Bobanyani and ask him if he was OK.
Upon approaching Sattar, who identified himself as “Joseph” at the time, the report indicated he initially told law enforcement he was unlocking his bicycle. However, he did not possess a key for the bicycle, which was leaning against the sign.
When the deputy questioned him about his actions, Sattar dropped the bicycle and began to walk away. At the same time, a bystander, only capable of communicating in Mandarin, approached him, yelling and attempting to retrieve his bicycle.
The report shows Sattar continued walking away, and the deputy located him a few moments later near the 5300 block of North State Road, where he attempted to detain him. Sattar immediately began resisting arrest, pulled and braced against the deputy’s attempts to handcuff him, and during the struggle, grabbed the deputy’s wrist, causing a cut.
Additional law enforcement officers arrived on the scene, subdued Sattar, and a subsequent search of his backpack revealed approximately 20 small baggies containing cocaine.
Further investigation uncovered that Sattar had a warrant from his arrest in Arkansas City for obstruction of police and previous fraud charges.
Sattar was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Paws with Claus Holiday Paw-ty Takes Place at Gary B Jones Park on December 9
- NewsDecember 5, 20234th Annual Hope for the Holidays Toy Distribution Takes Place on December 16
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Toy Drive Spreads Holiday Cheer
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Senior Citizen Wreaks Havoc During DMV Eye Exam, Faces Charges for Equipment Demolition