By Ryan Yousefi
A Tamarac man is charged with domestic assault and neglect of a child with great bodily harm after allegedly breaking into a woman’s home, where he brutally beat her as she held a young child, prompting the woman to defend herself by stabbing him.
On June 8, deputies from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to a reported chaotic break-in and assault that resulted in the victim stabbing multiple people in self-defense at a residence near the 5900 block of Northwest 59th Court.
According to the arrest report, upon law enforcement’s arrival, the victim told deputies she had first heard noises inside the house and initially suspected it to be a break-in.
Fearing for her safety and that of her child, the victim hid in her bedroom, where she eventually gathered the courage to confront the intruder and ventured out of the bedroom, according to the police report.
At this point, she discovered a man, later identified as Taurus Devarus Sanders, 23, of Tamarac, had gained entry to her home through the kitchen window.
The arrest report does not indicate the victim’s relationship with Taurus but lists the scene of the crime as also his permanent address, indicating he recently lived with the victim.
The victim told deputies that a verbal altercation ensued between herself and Taurus, and while she was holding her child in her arms, the situation escalated into a physical confrontation.
Records show the victim told deputies she was knocked down to the ground by Taurus, and as she tried to shield her child from harm, he repeatedly hit and kicked her.
Amid the chaos, the victim said Taurus’ brother and mother intervened in an attempt to stop the assault and protect the child.
Amid the ongoing struggle, the victim told deputies she broke free and grabbed a knife from a kitchen drawer to defend herself.
In the ensuing scuffle, Taurus and a second person were lacerated by the knife and sustained injuries—Taurus to the chest and the second person above their left eye.
The report shows investigators from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office Special Victims Unit would later arrive on the scene and take charge of the investigation, and after conducting a thorough examination of the circumstances, found that the victim had acted within the provisions of self-defense in accordance with Florida’s Stand Your Ground Law.
Deputies in the Fort Lauderdale area located Taurus and subsequently arrested and transported to the Broward County Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Dirty Dog’s Car Wash Opens with Grand Opening Celebration
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Lauderhill’s Mayor Thurston Hosts Move with the Mayor and Fitness Challenge
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Tamarac Man Attempts to Drown Woman in Community Pool
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023BSO North Lauderdale and Home Depot Team Up for ‘Building Bonds’ Children’s Workshop