By: Sharon Aron Baron
In a ceremony held last Thursday, the Florida League of Cities recognized Tamarac City Commissioner Julie Fishman with a 2019 Home Rule Hero Award.
Fishman was awarded the award for her work during the 2019 legislative session regarding vacation rentals and the need for cities to be able to regulate them.
“Vacation rentals have a direct tie into human trafficking, which is an issue I am working on bringing awareness too,” said Fishman.
Fishman was a liaison between residents and legislators on the issue and answered resident’s requests to reach out to them. She also kept up with what was happening with the bills, as well as disseminating information to her constituents, which had a direct impact on Home Rule and the city.
Home Rule is the ability for a city to address local problems with local solutions with minimal state interference. Home Rule Hero Award recipients are local government officials, both elected and nonelected, who consistently responded to the League’s request to reach out to members of the legislature and help give a local perspective to an issue.
Sworn into office in November 2016, Fishman represents District 3 which is primarily Kings Point and the Westview communities. She serves on various Florida League of Cities committees including Racial Equity and Leadership (REAL) Council and the Energy, Environment and Natural Resource Committee. At the State level, she serves on the Municipal Administration Committee and the Advocacy Committee.
Other Broward County Home Rule recipients include: Cooper City Mayor Greg Ross; Coral Springs City Commissioner Joshua Simmons; Hollywood City Commissioner Traci L. Callari; Parkland Mayor Christine Hunschofsky; Pembroke Pines Mayor Frank C. Ortis; Sunrise Mayor Michael J. Ryan; Weston Mayor Daniel J. Stermer; Weston Assistant City Manager Darrel Thomas; and Coconut Creek City Manager Mary Blasi.
Scott Dudley, legislative director of the Florida League of Cities, said the dedication and effort of local officials during the 2019 legislative session was extraordinary.
“These are some of our biggest advocates for municipal issues, and they’re shining examples of local advocacy in action. On behalf of the League and its legislative team, we’re proud to recognize each and every one of them and thank them for their service.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.07.22Register Now for the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.07.10Tamarac Commission Remains Undecided on Millage Rate after 6 Hour Budget Meeting
- News2021.07.09Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Hosts Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.06.30Public Meetings Held for Atlantic Blvd Interchange Improvements at the Sawgrass Expressway