By: Sharon Aron Baron
A nine year-old boy who loved football, died tragically while swimming at the beach on Labor Day.
Brandon Myrick, a student at Margate Elementary, was swimming with his cousin off Fort Lauderdale Beach around 7:00 p.m. Monday, when he was found unconscious in the water after his cousin alerted lifeguards about the missing boy. Fire Rescue rushed him to Broward General Hospital, where he later died.
Tamarac Cougar football coach, Joe Torak, found out about Brandon when he received a call from one of his assistant coaches on Tuesday. “I know that he was at the beach with a cousin of his and his cousin lost sight of him.”
According to the Sun Sentinel, his father said that Brandon did not know how to swim, but enjoyed going to the pool.
Torak said that Brandon was in the 95-pound division, was a big part of the team, and played three positions: defensive tackle, tight end and punter.
One of the team father’s, David Pein, started a Gofundme page to help the family pay for funeral costs. As of Tuesday night, 157 already donated over $7,000.
He would make you smile and he would make you cheer as he was sacking the quarterback, or ripping the ball out of the opposing team’s hands. This boy was full of passion from doing great in school, never getting in trouble, loving his teammates, family and playing football.” – from the Gofundme page.
With very little notice, teammates and their parents participated in a short 20 minute gathering at Tamarac Park on Tuesday evening. “The kids were told to come in their practice uniforms tonight,” said Torak. “I knew they wouldn’t be practicing.”
Eliot Meiseles, President of the Tamarac Youth Football League said a few words about Brandon and Coach Mike Bergdorf with Calvary Chapel led the group in prayer.
Torak said,“It was short and sweet but it was an opportunity for everyone to grieve together.”
Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2020.11.28Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.25Tamarac History: Former U.S. Congressman Once Made his Home in the Woodlands Country Club
- News2020.11.25Man Posing as Roofing Contractor Arrested After Scamming Tamarac Resident
- News2020.11.23City of Tamarac Continues with Residential Assistance Program