This article was purchased from the Sun-Sentinel Archives. It was printed in 1986 when the former home of Kenneth Behring went on the market. Behring was one of the developers of Tamarac as well as one of Broward county’s largest developers.
Coincidentally, Behring’s home is now back on the market 26 years later for the same price as it was in this article. Originally offered at almost $2 million in 2009, the current owners have lowered the price significantly.
Besides getting a piece of Broward history, here is what some lucky owner will get:
- 11,000 square foot interior home
- 7 bedrooms,
- 9 bathrooms
- Tennis court
- 52-foot heated pool
- Private dock
- Pool house
- Security gate
- Four-car garage
- 2 1/2 acres
- 2-18 hole golf course at the Woodlands Country Club, now owned by ClubLink
Besides this, the architecture of this home is custom, and there is no other home like it.
Sun-Sentinel – Fort Lauderdale
$995,000 CAN BUY A HOUSE, SOME HISTORY
Tom Lassiter, Staff Writer
February 5, 1986
The buyer will get more than seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a tennis court, and a 52-foot heated pool, to name just a few of the home’s appointments.
For a mere $995,000, the next owner will be buying a bit of Tamarac and Broward County history — the former home of Kenneth Behring.
Behring came to Broward County in 1956 as a used car salesman and became one of the county’s major developers, with such projects as Royal Palm Isles in Oakland Park and Tamarac Lakes among his first achievements.
Behring, who now lives in California, was an early developer of beachfront condominiums and a pioneer in developing adult communities. He tried, with limited success, to introduce prefabricated housing to the market here.
Behring’s former house on Red Cypress Lane in The Woodlands of Tamarac has been on the market for about one year, said Norma Wessenger, the broker handling the house. “You know, when you have a price like that, people don’t line up at the door and take numbers,” she said.
The house, currently owned by a couple who have moved to another area of Tamarac, is likely to attract a buyer with several children or an executive who enjoys entertaining “a lot of people,” said Wessenger.
“The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and the landscaping is magnificent, breathtaking,” Wessenger said when asked what she liked best about the home.
Contact the real estate agent if you are interested at Realtor.com.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.09Local Filmmaker Holds Screening of ‘I Wanna Be A Criminal’ in Tamarac
- News2021.09.07Broward County Public Schools Hiring Bus Drivers for 2021-22 School Year
- News2021.09.01Reserve Your Space at the Next City-Wide Garage Sale