By Kevin Deutsch
A 40-year-old Tamarac man was driving a car that struck and killed a person crossing the street in Deerfield Beach on Jan. 20, authorities said.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Unit is investigating the crash that killed Dana Wells Blanton around midnight near the 200 block of North Federal Highway. Additional information about Blanton, including hometown and gender, was not included in a BSO announcement of the incident.
Vincent Ga-Loeng Lau was driving a black 2016 Cadillac CTS south on North Federal Highway, approaching the intersection of Northeast 2nd Avenue, when the car struck Blanton, according to BSO.
Blanton had been attempting to cross the southbound lanes of North Federal Highway when he entered the path of the oncoming Cadillac, authorities said.
Detectives said the collision caused Blanton to hit the Cadillac’s windshield and tumble onto the roadway, where deputies found him. Paramedics pronounced Blanton dead at the scene.
The Cadillac came to a controlled stop after hitting Blanton and parked in a nearby parking lot, authorities said.
According to BSO, Lau remained at the crash scene and cooperated in the investigation.
A crosswalk with pedestrian crossing signals is located north of the crash scene. The investigation is ongoing, authorities said.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts