October is known for Breast Cancer Awareness, Mental Health Awareness, and the official start of fall. While our days may have a little less daylight, cool breezes are coming our way as our monthly activities kick into overdrive!
What better way to enjoy our weather than to spend some time at our parks?! Veterans Park and Sunset Point Park have reopened! Very excited by this news and hope you like the park improvements.
Ready for fall cleaning or getting your holiday shopping done early? The Community Garage Sale is taking place from 7:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday, October 7, at Tamarac Park (7501 N. University Dr.). Vendor spaces are sold out, which means you’re bound to find unique treasures.
Also, on Saturday, NAMIWalks Broward County is taking place, starting with check-in at 8:00 a.m. and the walk starting at 9:00 a.m., at Nova Southeastern University (3301 College Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314). This yearly event helps raise funds and bring awareness to the importance of taking care of our mental health and wellness. Together, we can remove any negative stigmas associated with mental health conditions.
For more to do on Saturday, October 7, when you are done with your NAMIWalk, everyone is invited to learn more about taking to the skies at the 2023 Aviation Day! The Expo is from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at FXE (Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport located at 2020 Executive Airport Way, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309). At this yearly event, see what exciting career opportunities are available, check out the flight simulator competition, and more! Visit www.Tamarac.me/AviationDay to RSVP for this free event!
Ready to welcome our newest restaurant in the City! On Thursday, October 12, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., we will celebrate the official opening of Savvy Sliders (2400 W. Commercial Blvd.). To assist the organizers in properly preparing for the event, please RSVP to the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce by emailing TNLCOC.org. The ribbon cutting will take place at 6:00 p.m. sharp.
Together, we all can make a difference! As a community, we are stronger than cancer. To prove it, join us for a Fun-raiser! A night of non-stop laughter at “Ha-Ha’s for the Tatas” Comedy Show on Friday, October 13, with comedienne host Cindy-Ann Boisson and headliner Dougie Almedia at Colony West (6850 NW 88th Avenue, Tamarac, FL 33321). They’ll be joined by comedians Amber Joy Layne, Perry Sak, and Angela Nacca as we raise cancer awareness and money for Gilda’s Club South Florida and Tamarac Employee Benevolent Fund (*in development). Special “Thank you!” to our title sponsors – PuroClean, Colony West, HCA Woodmont Hospital, and Fairfield by Marriott! (Want to stay overnight? Enjoy a special guest rate at the hotel by mentioning you attending the Ha-Ha’s event!)
On October 18, join the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce’s Inaugural Women In Pink Luncheon. Special guest Lori Alhadeff, Chair of the Broward County School Board, will be the speaker, along with a special appearance by Comedienne Cindy-Ann Boisson, and I will share a little about my journey as a woman in politics. The luncheon will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center Ballroom (8601 W. Commercial Blvd.) and is open to everyone. There is a $25.00 cover charge. Please RSVP to TNLCOC.org or email any questions to Peter@TamaracNorthLauderdale.org.
As we move into the second half of October, it’s time to remember the fun of “Freaky Friday,” with ghouls and ghosts as the City of Tamarac’s Park and Recreation Department presents – Halloween Hoopla! From 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Friday, October 20 at the Tamarac Park Baseball Fields (7501 N. University Dr.), children of all ages can enjoy spooktacular carnival games, bounce houses, arts and crafts, dancing to the spooky DJ, food vendors and a live performance by A Seasonal Scare! Halloween Party Band!
Wake up Saturday, October 21, and head to the Great Pumpkin Splash from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Caporella Aquatic Complex (9300 NW 58th Street). Enjoy some spooky water fun in the floating pumpkin patch, along with picking and decorating pumpkins, music, games, and more! There is a $5.00 fee per guest. For more information, call 954-597-3660 or visit www.Tamarac.org/SecialEvents.
On Thursday, October 26, the day many of us have waited for – the grand opening and ribbon cutting of the new Fairfield by Marriott! The celebration will take place from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at 6800 NW 88th Avenue. Come take a tour of the new location and plan your next staycation or where your visiting friends and family can stay the next time they are in town!
Start off your Saturday, October 28, with our next Move with the Mayor – a 20/20/20 class led by Paula. This free, hour-long class is designed to give you three workouts in one! It combines 20 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of strength training, and 20 minutes of core/balance work with stretching. Workout at your own pace starting at 10:30 a.m. at the Tamarac Community Center Ballroom.
Then join us from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the grand re-opening of Caporella Park (5200 Prospect Rd.)! Come check out the new amphitheater, boat dock, concession stand, and more!
October is also National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. To help keep you safe, here are some valuable tips:
- Use strong passwords
- Enabling multifactor authentication when possible
- Educate yourself on how to identify and report phishing scams and
- Regularly update your software.
These proactive measures can significantly lower your online risk, whether you’re using the internet or connected devices.
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church, 6501 W. Commercial Boulevard.
- Get local fresh produce, delicious bites, pet treats, artisanal goodies, and more at the Tamarac Community Farmer’s Market. It’s currently being held at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Dr., from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. every Sunday.
- The City of Tamarac hosts a Circle of Support group every Monday, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Tamarac Community Center. This group is led by a licensed mental health therapist and is open to all. Guests will learn strategies to cope with life changes. For more information, please call 954-597-3642.
- Don’t miss Food Truck Fridays every last Friday of the month between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Stop by with the family and choose from various delicious food vendors. There’ll be lots of fun, music, and games for everyone to enjoy!
- The Tamarac Pet Pantry has donations available for pet families in need! The Pantry is located at the Tamarac Recreation Center, 7501 North University Dr., and is open by appointment on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday and Thursday of each month. The first appointment is at 1:00 p.m., and the last is at 6:00 p.m. We accept new and unopened food products for dogs and cats if the food isn’t expired. For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/3n06nY8 or call (954) 597-3642.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.