By: Sharon Aron Baron
Many new communities in Tamarac will be getting an updated look this year with new entry signs, if homeowner associations vote to move forward with proposed signage from the city.
At the April 7 City Commission workshop, Community Development Director Maxine Calloway presented the list of
neighborhoods that would be receiving the first round of new entry signs:
- Woodmont Pine Island Road/NW 81 Street – SE corner
- Woodmont Pine Island Road/NW 75 Street – NE & SE corners (2 signs)
- Pineapple Park NW 80 Avenue/NW 70 Street – NW corner
- WoodlandsCommercial Boulevard/Woodlands Boulevard – Median
- WoodlandsRock Island Road/Sago Palm Boulevard – Median
- Arbor Keys Commercial Boulevard/NW 47 Terrace – NW corner
- Westwood #5 Southgate Boulevard/NW 93 Avenue – SW corner
- Colony West Estates Pine Island Road/NW 67 Court – SW corner
Each sign will be made with a concrete base with a rust-free aluminum skin and will cost approximately $18,000 each, which will be paid for by the city. Homeowner Association’s will be required to enter into a maintenance agreement with the city to maintain the signs once the are installed. “We expect to have the agreements ready within the next 90 days,” said Calloway.
On the proposed illustration, each sign would have the city’s logo and say “At Tamarac.” During last week’s city commission workshop, Commissioner Gomez brought up the issue that having verbiage along with the city logo would be redundant, and was not in the original discussions for the signage. At the next commission workshop, Calloway will be researching historical data to see if this was discussed at preliminary meetings.
The completion of the above signs should be around the winter of 2014/2015 according to Calloway.