By: Sharon Aron Baron
A former golf course turned into a new park needs a name, and the City of Tamarac is holding a contest to find the right one.
Formerly the Monterey Golf Club, the park has had a colorful history as being the source of criminal charges against elected officials who were accused of trading their votes for either money or donations so that the former developers could build homes on the property.
According to Public Information Officer Elise Boston, residents can pick up an information packet with all the details on submitting a name for the new park at the Community Center.
Boston said that anyone could submit a name. Still, the city is looking for a name related to the park or its amenities, the area surrounding the park, or an individual who has made significant contributions to the development of the park or parks and recreation in Tamarac.
Said Boston, “If a park is named for a person, they must be deceased. A facility shall not be named for a living person except when a name is specified as a condition of donation or deed restriction.”
For a group name, excluding historically significant groups to be considered, that group must have contributed significantly to the acquisition or development of the park or facility or the park system or city overall. The group name recommendation must be accompanied by a written justification providing evidence of contributions to the park, facility, park system, or city as a whole.
The city commission will make the final decision based on the recommendation of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. The winner will be recognized at a commission meeting and the ribbon-cutting event for the park and will be featured in an upcoming issue of Tam-A-Gram.
The park is located at 4500 Monterey Drive east of the Turnpike.
The deadline is May 5. For information on submissions and how to pick up the application packet, call 954-597-3620. Unfortunately, there is not online form.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2022.11.23Detectives Ask For Public’s Help Locating Missing 12-Year-Old
- News2022.11.22Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Gets Teed Up For 2022 PuroClean Classic Golf Tournament
- News2022.11.21Postal Worker Robbed at Gunpoint in Tamarac
- News2022.11.18On Your Marks, Get Set … Walk or Run! Tamarac Turkey Trot holds 41st Annual Event on Thanksgiving