By: Sharon Aron Baron
At Florida Press Club’s 2017 Excellence in Journalism Competition on Saturday night, Tamarac Talk took home the award for first place for independent website.
The event, held in Sarasota, was attended by journalists from all over the state of Florida. The keynote speaker was Mike Foley, master lecturer at the University of Florida’s College of Journalism and Communication who has worked at the St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Times as well as served as a juror for the Pulitzer Prize. Known as a tough teacher who expects improvement, many of his former students who have gone on to work at prestigious news organizations have worn his early low grades as a badge of honor. He shared his insights into the state of the news industry, as well as his thoughts on the next generation of journalists.
An online publication providing news for the residents of Tamarac, Florida, Tamarac Talk began in 2011 by editor Sharon Aron Baron. The website has two writers and several contributing writers. Over the years, they have covered topics such as corruption in Tamarac politics; residents’ efforts to recall a Tamarac commissioner; the fight against a charter school near a large senior community; the successful removal of antiquated Sunday Blue Laws from the city’s ordinances; and most recently, a story about the city commission overspending on their expense accounts.
We are so happy that the judges recognized Tamarac Talk and the work that we do. We are also thankful for all of our faithful readers that keep visiting the site looking for new stories. They make doing this worthwhile.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Dog Rescued from Tamarac Dumpster Now Safe with Foster Family