By: Sharon Aron Baron
Tamarac Youth Soccer League, once managed by parent volunteers has now been taken over by the City of Tamarac. Parks and recreation officials who had good intentions of an efficient running league have many parents feeling like they aren’t getting their money’s worth.
Before the city took over the league, the $80 fee would cover the complete uniform, a personalized trophy, and a closing ceremony complete with free food and drinks, bounce house, and a stage where all of the players would receive their trophies.
Parents informed Tamarac Talk that now that the city is took over running the league, that same fee only gets their child a jersey and socks, no shorts, a generic trophy and no closing ceremony.
“The best part of this is that we pay the same amount of money. So we thought that the city would do a better job because it has more resources. But it is worse. This is not about budget, we pay for it.” Said one parent who did not want to be named.
Michelle Zimmer, Recreation Superintendent for the City of Tamarac, said she hasn’t received any feedback, nor has she received any phone calls from the parents regarding the closing ceremonies, just calls regarding the city not providing the shorts. The season doesn’t end until this next Saturday, so many parents are not aware that there isn’t a closing ceremony this year for their child.
Zimmer believes that when parents were managing their own funds in a checking account, the money was more accessible. When funds are paid to the city, they are deposited into a general fund and cannot be accessed throughout the season.
She said that the City of Tamarac does not provide closing ceremonies for any of the leagues including football and individual leagues.
“I think we will be looking into changing it up, it’s a pretty hefty cost. If you look at the other cities they’re not doing it either. We’re always open to suggestions. It’s our first season out there. We have over 550 kids and a lot of volunteers out there,” said Zimmer.
Zimmer says that if any parents would like to talk with her, to please contact her at anytime. A parent survey will be going out at the end of the season and she encourages everyone to send in their response. Zimmer can be reached at Michelle Zimmer email@example.com or you can contact Rance Gaede at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County
- News2023.05.24Meet Gretel and Sissy, 2 Sweethearts Searching for Forever Homes