finally start streaming their Commission Meetings in the future. The Mayor and City Commisssioners voted to approve of live streaming of commission meetings at their budget hearing meeting in September.
Currently 19 out of 30 cities in Broward County stream or air their meetings live. Tamarac is the largest city that is not currently not doing this.
I wrote about this several times on Tamarac Talk. I even stood before the commissioners during several meetings this year with information about streaming. Thankfully, someone listened and this will finally become a reality.
When will this happen?
Nothing has been announced at this time. I’m hoping city staff is working to find out more information as well as getting proposals together.
If they want more information, they can look no further than the City of Coral Springs,. Matt Hoffman, Broadcast Communications Coordinator with the City of Coral Springs, says they have been streaming meetings since 2003.
When Beth Talabisco first ran for Mayor in 2006, this was her platform. She even had campaign mail outs saying that was one of her priorities. After six long years, her campaign promise may actually be kept.
The city of Tamarac says it “Commits to Transparency,” on its website and finally we may be able to see this for ourselves.
Note: The last time the city discussed streaming or airing their meetings was back in October of 2006. They said they would look into again after a survey went out but never did. The ball was surely dropped on this issue.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2019.09.19Coral Springs Center for the Arts Launches Comedy and Music October and November
- News2019.09.18Tamarac City Commissioners Voted to Approve Office Furnishings in Amended Budget
- News2019.09.18Broward County Schools Holds ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2019.09.17Students Can Earn Service Hours at 34th Annual International Coastal Cleanup