By Agrippina Fadel
A battle of censures is on the next city commission agenda after Commissioners Elvin Villalobos and Marlon Bolton requested the items after a recent argument.
Villalobos and Bolton have exchanged unpleasantries many times before, but their argument after the commission meeting on January 26 made all prior disagreements look almost civil.
The tension was brewing through the meeting last Wednesday, with Bolton referring to Villalobos as “the gentleman from District 3” and refusing to call him by his name.
After the meeting was over, the commissioners exchanged insults, Villalobos calling Bolton “baldy” and the latter speculating about Villalobos’ sex life and calling his wife fat. City Attorney John Herin and BSO officers stood by, ready to act if the verbal altercation turned physical.
Villalobos added two items on February 9 meeting, one specifically requesting Bolton’s censure and the other inviting a discussion of a more aggressive approach to punishing commissioners who behave disrespectfully.
Bolton’s agenda item asks the commission to take action and censure Villalobos for “making obscene and racial remarks.”
No racial comments were ever said, according to Villalobos.
Censure in politics is a formal public reprimand and condemnation of a politician who displays unacceptable behavior.
During previous discussions of using censure to rein in the disagreements and disrespect on the Tamarac dais, Mayor Michelle Gomez reminded commissioners that the residents are watching the meetings, so public reprimand is a serious matter.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2023.06.05Strike for a Cause by Joining the 6th Annual Chamber Bowling Tournament in Tamarac
- News2023.06.05Get Your Groove On During Free Jazzercise Class with the Mayor
- News2023.06.04Ticket Alert: Don’t Miss Biana Pinchuk and Don Stansfield Double Show in Tamarac
- News2023.06.04Tamarac Honors Juneteenth: Join A Community Celebration of Freedom