In Pre-Covid Days, the 2019 Tamarac Turkey Trot. Video by Elvin Villalobos.
By Selene Raj
The Tamarac Turkey Trot 5K is a holiday staple event in the city. Although it’s being done a bit differently this year due to Covid-19, runners will still have the opportunity to participate, virtually.
To partake in the race, an app called RaceJoy must be downloaded on the participant’s phone. The app will be used for live GPS tracking, progress alerts, and to keep track of virtual results as runners participate remotely.
The virtual event isn’t limited to just the runners, either. Friends and family can opt to send supportive audio cheers remotely to their participating loved ones.
Registration is available online and includes participatory shirts and medals to be either picked up at the Tamarac Community Center or shipped for an extra $5.
This year, a portion of the registration fees will be donated to United Way, an organization that advocates for health, education, and financial stability in communities worldwide.
The race takes place on Thursday, November 26, and runners from Tamarac, Coral Springs, Parkland, and all over Broward County can compete any time of day. Registration fees range from $15 to $25, and the deadline to sign up is at 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25.
For more information on signing up, and how to compete and upload results, visit the registration website.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2021.12.06Social Club for 55-Plus Caribbean-Americans Launches with First Event
- News2021.11.23Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- News2021.08.25Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- News2021.03.16Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover