By: Sharon Aron Baron
After six classes with over 145 students, the latest graduates stepped up and accepted their diplomas from the Tamarac University program at the City Commission meeting last week.
Led by Assistant Director of Information Technology, Jim Twigger, and Special Projects Coordinator Mike Gresek, this six week interactive program gave residents a behind-the-scenes look at Tamarac, and the opportunity to meet their local government officials face-to-face in a classroom-like atmosphere.
Residents learned from elected officials, department directors, and other City staff about the role of local government and public service. “I think that it’s a great opportunity to learn about the city,” said Twigger. “There’s so many facets of the city, to see everything working in tandem is just amazing.”
As an employee of the Tamarac Chamber, this helped me immensely.” Said Tara Piatek. Because of the class, I have been able to connect businesses with the appropriate department in the city.”
Several students that were in Piatek’s class were also involved with the community before they attended the class. Piatek herself is a Relay for Life Committee Team Member and several students were volunteers in either in the BSO Citizen Observer Patrol, CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)Program or both.
“Jim and Mike were phenomenal instructors,” said Piatek. “They made the class fun. They did such an amazing job.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.06.08Celebrating Excellence: Meet Our Local Valedictorians and Salutatorians for 2023
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County