By: Sharon Aron Baron
Newly elected Broward County Commissioner Michael Udine donated a portion of his leftover campaign funds to his former high school: specifically to the culinary students who are raising money to spend a week in France to study culinary arts in January.
On Tuesday, Udine presented a check to Culinary & Hospitality Instructor Scott Goodman after seeing the article on Tamarac Talk, then meeting them at the Tamarac Chamber of Commerce. He recently won his election for County Commissioner on November 8, believed the group did great work and said he wanted to try to help out a little bit.
“I’m a former alumni of JP Taravella so it’s fun to come back. It’s fun to see a great group of young kids excelling at something – and for me to be able to help them in some way is my pleasure,” said Udine.
Eight students will be flying to Paris on January 3, for eleven days. First, they will travel by train to the south of France to Montpellier, then will study at the Georges-Frêche School of Hotel Management school for a week. They are: Katherine Cohen, Sabrina Diaz, Ariel Grecia, Gloria Louis, Karla Montolio, Nicole Rivera, Dharimar Vasquez and Sean Woodcock.
Goodman was grateful for the check. “It’s fantastic for him to think about us after the election is over, and remembering our situation is just awesome,” he said.
He said that they still need $12,000 to cover costs of the trip. The students have been working to raise funds through catering efforts and numerous onsite fundraising opportunities.
Sabrina Diaz, 17, who is one of the students traveling, said she wants a career in the restaurant management one day. “This is like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that nobody else get.”
If you can help these students, please donate at PledgeCents.
Although JP Taravella is located in Coral Springs, many Tamarac students attend the high school.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.01.272 Arrested for Robbery and Shooting in North Lauderdale: Victim Remains in Critical Condition
- News2023.01.26School Choice Application Deadline for 2023/24 Fast Approaching
- News2023.01.26Pets of the Week: Juno and Jax Are Looking for Forever Homes
- News2023.01.25MISSING: Detectives Search for Woman From Tamarac