By: Saraana Jamraj
Governor Ron DeSantis issued a statewide executive order directing the State Surgeon General to issue a public health advisory to all persons over 65 years of age, urging them to stay home and take other precautionary measures.
He extended that order to people of all ages who have serious underlying medical conditions that place them at a high risk of severe illness from COVID-19. These conditions include chronic lung disease, asthma, heart conditions, immunocompromised status, those undergoing cancer treatment, and severe obesity.
Governor DeSantis also urged for a public health advisory against all social or recreational gatherings of ten or more people and urging those who can work remotely to do so.
While this order leaves many out and does not yet address the majority of the population, it will be particularly crucial in Tamarac, where 37.8 percent — or one-third of the population is 65 years or older are being asked to stay home.
One Tamarac resident is more than happy to do her part.
“I really feel this is not a big deal for me [being over 70] — considering everything that is going on,” said Woodlands resident, Cecilia Kleinrichert. “We should all be grateful to live where we do.”
Kleinrichert said she still gets to walk every morning and enjoy the fresh air, while social distancing.
“Yes, we might all get a little bored– but think of the people we can help, including ourselves, if we just stay home and make the best of the situation,” she said.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- NewsDecember 6, 2021Social Club for 55-Plus Caribbean-Americans Launches with First Event
- NewsNovember 23, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsAugust 25, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsMarch 16, 2021Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover