By Kevin Deutsch
The family of a woman murdered in Tamarac Wednesday by a still-at-large killer has identified her as 23-year-old Kayla Hodgson and is raising money to help pay for her funeral.
Hodgson, a popular bottle waitress in the Broward hospitality scene, was stabbed to death around 3 p.m. at an apartment complex in the 300 block of Northwest 57th Street.
No arrests have been announced in the case, as Broward Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives continue their probe of the killing.
“Our beloved Kayla has passed away unexpectedly due to someone taking her life away from us,” Hodgson’s family wrote on the GoFundMe page soliciting donations. “Kayla meant so much to so many people—she was an amazing daughter, a very loved and adored big sister, niece, granddaughter, and cousin, whose bond was like no other.”
The fundraising page states that Hodgson’s “beautiful smile would light up any room she would walk into” and that “everyone who was lucky enough to cross paths with Kayla had no choice but to love her vibrant personality and big heart.”
Hodgson’s family was “not prepared for the high cost of a funeral service…We want to give Kayla the memorial she deserves to honor her memory and say our last goodbyes,” her relatives wrote.
“The goal is to help give Kayla’s family peace of mind from the financial burdens so they can focus on what is important at this time, which is being there for each other and celebrating the amazing life of Kayla.”
As of Saturday morning, $2,088 had been raised toward the campaign’s $50,000 goal.
Those wishing to contribute can donate directly through the GoFundMe page.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts