By: Matt Rothman
J.P. Taravella alumnus Vincent Samuel has committed to playing college baseball at Florida Gulf Coast University.
He will become the second player from J.P. Taravella to attend FGCU, joining EJ Burns, who committed earlier this year.
“It feels great to be committed to FGCU,” Samuel said. “It checked all the boxes for me when it comes to choosing the school for the next two years.”
A 2022 graduate, Samuel began playing recreational ball when he was four before competing in travel baseball with Primal 9 and Palm Beach Gardens. He then played on varsity and helped the Trojans make Regionals twice, hitting .323 with six home runs, 45 RBIs, and 16 doubles.
“Vincent had at least six full scholarships to choose from, including NIL money opportunities,” Head Coach Joe Giummule said. “He chose FGCU for many reasons, but the one that stood out the most was so his mom could see him play just like she has done since he started playing.
Samuel played his first year at Indian River State College with a pair of former high school teammates and helped his team win 25 games. He hit .355 with 11 home runs and 47 RBIs. While he still has one more year left of junior college, Samuel hoped to find a school for his final two years.
“When I went on my visit, it just felt like the right place for me,” Samuel said. “The coaching staff was very welcoming and gave off a very warm feeling.
FGCU is coming off a season where they won 42 games and have had several big league players, including All-Star Chris Sale.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 2023J.P. Taravella Basketball Teams Highlight Week of Success With 1st Win
- NewsNovember 19, 2023TS Aquatics Swimmers Shine in Postseason Competitions
- NewsNovember 18, 2023Tawannah McLemore Leads The Way For J.P. Taravella Swim Team in State Championship
- NewsNovember 9, 20233 J.P. Taravella Baseball Players Officially Sign Letter of Intent