By Agrippina Fadel
The City of Tamarac is hosting the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Unity March honoring the social justice movement and celebrating the city’s diversity.
Held on Monday, January 16 at 9 a.m., the MLK March begins at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Drive, and ends at City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Avenue. A shuttle bus will bring participants back to Tamarac Park.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a perfect time to reflect on the community’s unity and love for one another, and respect for each other’s differences, said Mayor Michelle Gomez.
“That is what Dr. King stood for, and that is what Tamarac stands for. I am very proud to commemorate his legacy and dream in our city,” she added.
Commissioner Kicia Daniel said that Tamarac’s Unity March is a great way to honor Dr. King and celebrate the principles he stood for, including unity, equality, and respect for his fellow man.
“The diversity of Tamarac’s residents exemplifies Dr. King’s dream of living side-by-side in harmony with hope for the future,” she added. “Pausing on this special day to reflect on his legacy is a great way to teach our children some of his guiding values – while simply enjoying the fellowship and company of our neighbors.”
“Paying homage to Dr. King means that leaders must be willing to work toward truth and justice against all odds,” said Commissioner Elvin Villalobos. “Martin Luther King Jr. Day inspires me to fight against inequalities and to honor a legacy started through determination,” he said.
The city did not have the comments from Vice Mayor Marlon Bolton and commissioner Morey Wright at press time.
After the Unity March, refreshments and entertainment will be available at the city hall. Pre-register for this free event on Eventbrite at www.Tamarac.me/events. The first 100 registrants will receive a free t-shirt.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo