March is here! In just a couple of weeks, we’ll welcome the arrival of daylight saving time on March 12 and Spring on March 20. Don’t forget to move your clocks ahead one hour when you go to bed Saturday night, March 11!
The good times and outdoor music continues this month with the return of the Groove on the Grass Concert on Friday, March 3, at the Tamarac Sports Complex, 9901 NW 77th St. We’ll have live music from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. so bring your lawn chairs or blankets, and dancing shoes! There’ll be food trucks on site, inflatable rides, and a free slice of birthday cake for everyone in celebration of the city’s upcoming 60th anniversary on July 19.
On Wednesday, March 8, I hope you will join me as I deliver the 2023 State of the City Address at 7:00 p.m. before our Regular Commission Meeting at City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Avenue. I’m very excited to share the city’s accomplishments this past year and the plans for the years ahead. If you prefer to join us virtually, you can view the meeting by visiting www.Tamarac.org/CommissionMeetings and clicking on “Live Webcasts” from the menu.
The Movies in the Park series returns this month, kicking off with a showing of the animated Disney movie “Lightyear” on Friday, March 10th. The film starts at 8:00 p.m., but bring the family by early to enjoy face painting, inflatable rides, and more pre-movie activities beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the Tamarac Sports Complex.
This month, the Move with the Mayor series features a free 20/20/20 class on Saturday, March 18, at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W Commercial Blvd. The course begins at 10:30 a.m. and features 20 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of strength training, and 20 minutes of stretching, led by Paula. You can also mark your calendars for next month’s free Jazzercise class on Friday, April 28th, at the Caporella Aquatics Pavilion, 9300 NW 58th St. The class begins at 6:00 p.m. and will be led by Instructor Warren and May.
I hope you’ll join us before the City Commission Meeting on March 22 for our Women’s History Month celebration. Please stay tuned for more details.
The 2023 First-Time Homebuyer Purchase Assistance Program has an information session from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 29, at the City Hall Commission Chamber, 7525 NW 88th Ave. They’ll go over how to get up to $60,000 towards the down payment and/or closing costs for the first purchase of your home in Tamarac. For more information, please call the Housing Division at (954) 597-3549.
I’m happy to share that the Florida Department of Environmental Protection has awarded the City of Tamarac a Resilient Florida Program Planning Grant of $414,367. These funds will help us assess our city’s stormwater structures, swale and retention/detention areas, headwalls and seawalls, stormwater pump stations, and more. Many of you know I’ve been working on securing funding for repairs and maintenance of the community seawalls, which are a big concern to our residents. I’m grateful that our city received this award to begin the assessment, and feel hopeful about this progress.
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church, 6501 W. Commercial Blvd.
- Don’t miss Food Truck Fridays every last Friday of the month between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Stop by with the family and choose from an array of delicious food vendors. There’ll be lots of fun, music, and games for everyone to enjoy!
- The Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac will host its annual Purim bash this year on Tuesday, March 7, at the Woodmont Country Club, 7801 NW 80th Ave. The event starts at 5:30 p.m. with the Megilla reading followed by Tevya’s Purim feast. There’ll also be Live Klezmer music, a miniature Shtetl display, Hodel’s Hamentashen, and Shtetl pets! To purchase tickets, please visit www.jJewishTamarac.com/purim or call (954) 882-7434.
- If you’re looking to switch jobs or explore your options, check out the two career events happening this month in Broward:
- Career Source Broward Hiring Event for the Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach on Wednesday, March 8. The event is from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and will be held at the CareerSource Broward Central Center, 2550 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Oakland Park, FL 33311. Be sure to bring your resume and dress to impress, as the Conrad will be making on-the-spot offers of employment. Applications must be submitted before the hiring event. Register as a job seeker at www.Employflorida.com and upload your resume. Once registered, enter the job order number for the position you desire.
- The South Florida Career Fair at Bahia Mar will take place on Thursday, March 9, from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Doubletree by Hilton, 801 Seabreeze Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316. This event will connect qualified candidates with some of the best companies and organizations in the job market. For tickets, visit http://bit.ly/3IyATzC.
- Temple Beth Torah is hosting a Women’s Seder in honor of their Festival of Freedom on Sunday, March 26. The event starts at 1:30 p.m. and is located at 5600 NW 94th Ave in Tamarac. The cost is $24 for adults and $18 for girls ages 12-18 and includes Passover delicacies and Haggadah. This wonderful event is open to anyone. For more information, email Sisterhood@tbtst.org or text (954) 866-5877.
Happy Women’s History Month, Purim, St. Patrick’s Day, and Holi to all celebrating!
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.