By Selene Raj
An update from Mayor Michelle Gomez and the Tamarac City Commission on July 14 shared that more closures are coming in Tamarac, as a result of a significant increase in cases and hospitalizations in Broward County.
This comes as Florida reported an all-time high daily number of cases in any state, with more than 15,000 cases on Saturday, July 11, along with the significant spike in deaths for the state on Tuesday, July 14, with 132 deaths.
Beginning Wednesday, July 15, all city parks and recreation facilities will be closed to the public, they said, to protect the health and safety of residents and staff. These closures include Caporella Park, Mainlands Park, the Sports Complex, Sunset Point Park, and Tephord Park, as well as the Caporella Aquatic Complex and Caporella Fitness Center.
The Aquatic Complex had been open for one day, before closing last week. The Community Center and Recreation Center have been closed and will remain closed.
These closures will last for at least two weeks and will be reevaluated every 14 days.
In addition to the closure of parks, the Farmers Market at Veteran’s Memorial Park is canceled indefinitely.
The golf courses at Colony West, however, will remain open for play following the county’s emergency order guidelines.
For more information, visit the city’s page.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- NewsDecember 6, 2021Social Club for 55-Plus Caribbean-Americans Launches with First Event
- NewsNovember 23, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsAugust 25, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsMarch 16, 2021Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover