By Agrippina Fadel
Sunset Point Park in Tamarac will soon have a new art installation to give visitors a glimpse into the nearby Florida Everglades and bring together conceptual art and nature.
The Sunset Hammock is a monumental environmental public art installation by artist Margi Glavovic Nothard that includes a 20-by-3-foot periscope allowing visitors to observe the Everglades and learn about the area’s flora and fauna in an outdoor classroom space.
Nothard described Sunset Hammock as a monumental environmental public art commission that raises awareness about the critical role of the Everglades within the ecological balance of South Florida.
The project integrates the adjacent wetland with a community park and includes an educational children’s art program in collaboration with the Young At Art Museum. Sunset Hammock won a 2020 AIA Fort Lauderdale Honor Award and has been awarded grants from the National Endowment of the Arts and the Florida Land and Water Conservation Fund.
Sunset Hammock is part of the city’s Public Art Program and was approved by the city commission in April 2021. It is set to open to the public this summer.
Mayor Michelle Gomez said the $1.1 million art installation was funded through a $400K Land and Water Conservation Grant and Public Art Funds. “This is an amazing piece of art that will also be visible from the Sawgrass Expressway,” she added.
Gomez said the city staff have been talking about the project “for ages” and is excited to finally see it being built. She added that the city’s Parks and Recreation department would organize events around the installation and invite local schools to plan visits and nature walks.
“Interactive multipurpose projects like Sunset Hammock make our city parks a destination and show the sense of culture, style, and art appreciation that the Tamarac community has,” Gomez said.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo