By Agrippina Fadel
Tamarac Pet Pantry is officially open, providing a lifeline to pet owners in need of assistance.
Mayor Michelle Gomez is very excited to see the pantry finally open and able to help residents in difficult life situations to take care of their pets.
“I think it will do a lot of good for our city. To many people, pets are part of their family, and when there isn’t money to buy cat and dog food, owners would share what they have and go hungry themselves. We want to help residents to keep their pets and be able to take care of them,” she said.
She’s often asked about pet items at the city food distribution events and is happy to share that there is now a dedicated pantry where they can get assistance.
“Pets are good for our health, both physical and mental. They make us happier. It is so important for families to be able to keep their four-legged babies, even when the times are tough,” she said.
According to her, residents who got pets during the pandemic are now struggling to keep up with the cost of having a dog or a cat while also dealing with inflation, high rents, and insurance.
Publix on Midway and Pet Supermarket donated some items, and Walmart is finalizing paperwork to donate pet food as well. Donations also came from the children at Challenge Elementary, who collected pet items during their February Day of Service.
Tamarac’s Pet Pantry is open the second and fourth Thursday of every month while supplies last. The Pantry is open by appointment only, from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Residents must be screened for eligibility before scheduling an appointment. Call 954-597-3642 to begin the screening process by phone.
Proof of residency and proof of income is required at the first appointment. Each household is limited to food for a maximum of four pets, and residents are allowed to come to the pantry once per month, subject to availability.
Individuals and organizations seeking to donate items can deliver pet food and other items to Tamarac Recreation Center, a t7501 North University Drive.
Don’t miss the official ribbon-cutting on Wednesday, March 15, at 5 p.m. at the Tamarac Recreation Center.
To learn more and inquire about volunteering, call the Tamarac Pet Pantry at 954-597-3674.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023Tamarac Offers Free Certification Course for HOA Board Members
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023Ticket Alert: Flashback Four Rocks Kings Point Palace Sept. 23
- NewsSeptember 18, 2023Tamarac Holds Vintage Family Fun Day at Mainlands Park Sept. 23
- NewsSeptember 16, 2023High Schoolers Can Earn Service Hours for Fostering Dogs