On August 11th, School Board Member David Thomas stepped down from office as our District Four representative. Unfortunately, his wife Cindy who has been treated for cancer in the past will need further treatment. Because of the time required by the position, it would leave him unable to be available to give her the type of care that she needs. He will return to teaching at JP Taravella High School where Cindy works as well. This is good news for the students of JP Travella who will get a fantastic teacher back in the classroom. Unfortunately, it won’t be good news for the residents in our district as several people are already lining up with their applications, ready to be our next school board member.
District Four, which consists of Tamarac, Coral Springs, Parkland, North Lauderdale and part of Margate will now be represented by our at-large member, Robin Bartleman, or until Governor Rick Scott picks someone to temporarily replace Thomas until an election is held in 2012.
Unfortunately, all of Scott’s School Board appointments have been along party lines, so instead of finding the best person for the job, Scott will find someone among the applicants who is a Republican. After the 2012 election, the Republican appointee won’t even have a shot to win the election in this primarily Democratic district.
The community of the Woodlands were supporters of Thomas’s, well before the primaries in 2010. Starting last spring, the residents were trying to change their school boundaries and had a lot of questions about their schools. Besides learning about school boundaries, they received information about school choice, reassignments and magnet programs because of their involvement with the election and by Thomas himself during the eight months he was in office.
Tamarac and the Woodlands will greatly miss David Thomas and wishes both him and Cindy Thomas well.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.02.03Bite into Bliss and Empower Young Women: Get Your Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies Today
- News2023.02.023 Brave Deputies Risk Lives to Save Woman in Christmas Eve Canal Rescue
- News2023.02.01Choking Prevention Takes Center Stage: Rep Daley Files Bill Proposed by High School Students
- News2023.01.272 Arrested for Robbery and Shooting in North Lauderdale: Victim Remains in Critical Condition