By: Sharon Aron Baron
A special meeting was called at Tamarac City hall to replace the mayor who was suspended again by Governor Rick Scott last Friday.
Vice Mayor Gomez, who opened the meeting, said, “I appreciate everyone for their support, and I want to thank all of my colleagues who appointed me in 2010 and 2013.”
She told the commission that she didn’t want to be considered for the mayoral position, saying she had committed to her constituents in District Two and wanted to give them some continuity. Gomez then nominated Commissioner Harry Dressler. Both Commissioners Bushnell and Glasser voted followed suit.
Dressler was sworn in by City Manager Michael Cernech within minutes.
In 2011, Talabisco was charged with accepting illegal campaign benefits from developers Bruce and Shawn Chait in exchange for her support on their land project and suspended from office. Circuit Judge Cynthia Imperato threw out the charges in 2012, and Talabisco was reinstated.
In July, the Fourth District Court of Appeal reversed the dismissal, allowing charges to be reinstated. Attorney Larry Davis tried to take it to the Florida Supreme Court. However, they declined to hear the case; therefore, the Governor suspended her because a new trial date will be set soon.
Dressler didn’t make a public statement during the workshop that commenced shortly after; however, he was gracious after the meeting and shook hands with those in the packed commission chambers. He said he wanted to reserve comments for the City Commission meeting on Wednesday morning.
A new Commissioner will be appointed from Dressler’s district in the next few weeks. District Four covers Woodmont Country Club and the Sunflower-Heathgate area.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County
- News2023.05.24Meet Gretel and Sissy, 2 Sweethearts Searching for Forever Homes