By Saraana Jamraj
To help ensure long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes and rehab centers, have access to much-needed PPE, Tamarac Fire Rescue is delivering supplies to all of them in the city.
PPE, or personal protective equipment, has become increasingly crucial as COVID-19 has spread in South Florida. It can slow the spread of the virus and is especially important for vulnerable populations, such as senior citizens and immunocompromised.
The supplies were provided by the Broward County Emergency Operations Center, who received them from the State Emergency Operation Center.
So far, they’ve completed three deliveries, which included more than a dozen individual facilities.
During each delivery, they distributed supplies including N95 masks, procedure masks, goggles, isolation gowns, gloves of varying sizes, and hand sanitizer.
“We are more than willing to help pitch in to make sure these supplies reach those who need them as quickly as possible,” said Tamarac Fire Rescue Chief Percy Sayles.
So far, the following facilities have received PPE deliveries from Tamarac Fire Rescue: Active Senior Living, Atria Tamarac Main Facility, Atria Tamarac Memory Care Facility, Gordon Heights, HarborChase, Lake View Retirement, Lesly’s Leisure Living, New Horizons North, Nspire Healthcare, Sunflower Senior Living, Superior Care II, Tamarac Rehab, and Treasure Care.
“The patients at these facilities are among the most vulnerable people in our community, and it’s a top priority to do everything we can to protect them and the people who care for them,” said Sayles.
They plan to continue the deliveries of PPE until all nursing homes and assisted living facilities in the city have received them.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. She's completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.09.27Tamarac Talk Interviews Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.25Tamarac Talk Interviews Candidates for City Commission District 3
- News2020.09.22Feeding South Florida Food Distributions Continue in Tamarac and Nearby Cities
- News2020.09.22Drive-Thru Halloween Haunt Provides Safer Option for Tamarac Holiday Celebrations