By Agrippina Fadel
The Fire Inspectors Association of Broward County (FIABC) named three Tamarac Firefighters as Marshal of the Year, Fire Inspector of the Year, and Firefighter of the Year.
The city commission congratulated the Tamarac Fire Rescue members at the Dec. 14 meeting.
Division Chief/Fire Marshal Tommy Demopoulos was awarded the 2022 Fire Marshal of the Year Award.
Recognized for his large-scale project reviews within Tamarac and his advocacy for residential fire sprinklers, Demopoulos was also awarded the Florida Fire Sprinkler Association Champion of the Industry and Humanitarian of the Year Award from the American Red Cross in 2021.
Tamarac Fire Inspector Cintia Chelles received two awards: 2022 Community Risk Reduction Inspector of the Year and Fire Inspector of the Year.
Chelles has been involved in many aspects of the Community Risk Reduction Division and is always available to assist in new projects, such as designing and implementing the First Due software. She is involved in public education for both FIABC and the Florida Association of Fire and Life Safety Educators and works with peers to better represent the department within the community. Chelles created a fire station tour video and a video promoting the use of the 911 emergency system.
Captain Michael Boyhan received the 2022 Tamarac Fire Rescue Firefighter of the Year Award.
The nomination described Capt. Boyhan as the one who has set the bar in terms of leadership and continued involvement, initiative, and commitment to the organization. He started an EMS competition team in Tamarac. As the team leader, he continually practices off-duty and on-duty with his group and competes in as many competitions as the team can attend.
On his off days, Boyhan serves as a lead instructor at Emergency Education Institute (EEI) in Coral Springs. Over the years, he has taught hundreds of future EMTs and Paramedics and tutored students to help them pass their certification exams and prepare for the hiring process.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo