From: Mayor Michelle J. Gomez
March is finally here, and Spring is right around the corner on March 20. Lucky for us, there are plenty of fun activities to enjoy in the nice weather.
The City of Tamarac is kicking off its Groove on the Grass Concert in the Park series on Friday, March 4, with music by tribute band Motown Magic. Enjoy a night of Motown music and grab a snack from one of the local food trucks. Bring your lawn chairs and come ready to dance from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Sports Complex (9901 NW 77th Street). It will be a great night under the stars, and admission is free. (Sorry, no pets, please.)
On Wednesday, March 9, I hope you will join me as I deliver the 2022 State of the City Address at 7:00 p.m. before our Regular Commission Meeting at City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Avenue. I’m very excited to share the City’s accomplishments this past year and the plans for the years ahead. If you prefer to join us virtually, you can view the meeting by visiting Tamarac.org/CommissionMeetings and clicking on “Live Webcasts” from the menu.
Movies in the Park resumes on Friday, March 11, at the Tamarac Sports Complex with a viewing of Space Jam: A New Legacy. Showtime is at 7:00 p.m., and admission is free. Blankets, chairs, and coolers are allowed. For more information, please call (954) 597-3620 or go to Tamarac.org/SpecialEvents.
This month, the Move with the Mayor series features a free Body Sculpting class on Saturday, March 12, at Water’s Edge Park, 7508 NW 61st Street. The session begins at 10:30 a.m., led by Instructor Gazelle. You can also mark your calendars for next month’s free Zumba class on Friday, April 29, at Tamarac Sports Complex (Field 5), 9901 NW 77th Street. The class begins at 6:00 p.m., led by Instructor Maria.
We’re also hosting a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the opening of the new story trail at Waters Edge Park. The free event includes an interactive reading of “The Fox and the Bike Ride” by Corey R. Tabor and fun activities for everyone to enjoy. Join us from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 19.
The event is sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Tamarac and the Parks and Recreation Foundation of Tamarac (PAROT). I enjoyed the chance to connect these two incredible organizations and appreciate everything they do to bring creative ways to live, learn and play to our residents.
Kids between the ages of 6 and 12 will love the City’s Spring Break Camp happening March 21 through 25. The five fun-filled days will be packed with games, sports, outdoor activities, and field trips the kids will be sure to enjoy. The camp will run Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and will be located at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Drive. For pricing, registration, and more, please visit www.Tamarac.org/Parks or call 954-597-3674.
Tamarac is offering an information session for its Purchase Assistance Program on Wednesday, March 30. The program offers first-time homebuyers the chance to apply for assistance for up to $40,000.00 towards the purchase of a home. The session will run from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., and pre-registration is required. Pre-register at Tamarac.me/DownPaymentAssistance.
Save the Date! Saturday, April 23, is the Let’s Move Tamarac Wellness Event. There’ll be a mix of fun activities and resources to boost and maintain your health and vitality. Stay tuned for more details.
It gives me great pleasure to congratulate Chief Mike Annese on being appointed as Tamarac Fire Rescue’s new Fire Chief. With more than 24 years of service, we’re fortunate to have him assume the top leadership spot! We know he will continue to serve Tamarac well in his new role!
- It’s that time again to spring forward! Don’t forget to move your clocks forward one hour before you go to bed on Saturday, March 12, so that you’re on time for activities on Sunday, March 13!
- I’m excited to share that the restroom renovation construction project has begun at Sunset Point Park. It was previously delayed due to COVID-19. We appreciate your patience as work is underway.
- Please remember to visit Tamarac.org/How-Do-I for resources regarding requirements for home improvements, important contact numbers for code enforcement, registering complaints, compliments, and more.
- The City’s Building Department has recently updated its webpage to include information about the 40-year building safety inspection program in light of the Surfside Condo Collapse. Broward County’s Building Inspection Program is intended to help property owners ensure the structural integrity and electrical safety of their buildings. The website contains links to the application as well as the brochure with requirements and guidelines. For more information, visit tamarac.org/679/40-Year-Building-Safety-Inspection.
- Another addition to the City’s website is information regarding the Business One-Stop Shop (BOSS) program. It’s designed to assist business owners with obtaining a certificate of occupancy for their proposed business, zoning, and other requirements. For more information, visit tamarac.org/535/Start-a-Business-in-Tamarac.
- Interested in participating in our City’s senior recreation programs for a chance to connect with neighbors and the community? Then be sure to join our Tamarac Community Center Senior Program available to seniors 55 and up. The annual fee for residents is $35. For more information, call 954-597-3620 or visit Tamarac.org/Parks to view the program schedule.
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church (6501 West Commercial Boulevard).
- New Hope Seventh-day Adventist Church will hold a food distribution on Tuesday, March 15, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., at its Fort Lauderdale campus located at 545 E. Campus Circle, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312. Food is available first-come, first-served, while supplies last.
- An off-season election for Florida Senate Seat 33 will take place on March 8. Early voting is available from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. until March 6 at four locations, including the Tamarac Branch Library, 8701 W Commercial Boulevard. All 24 Tamarac precincts will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day. For additional election information, please visit www.browardvotes.gov.
March is National Women’s History Month, where we highlight the accomplishments of trailblazing women and their amazing contributions. This year’s theme is “Women Providing Healing, Promoting Hope.” We honor the sacrifices and efforts made by women during the ongoing pandemic, as well as the strides made by women worldwide throughout history to provide healing and hope. Thank you to all the women making the world a better place, we appreciate you!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Purim, and Holi to all who celebrate!
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.