By: Jen Russon
Dry, British wit has come to the high school stage in the form of a good old-fashioned ghost story.
In a tale written by a playwright who brought most of his smash hits to Broadway in the 1940s following World War II, Charles Condomine, a novelist, meets with a psychic medium to research his spooky new book.
A séance takes place, and the ghost of his first wife is accidentally summoned. Only Charles can see or hear Elvira, and nobody believes she’s haunting the house – least of all his current wife, Ruth.
Straight-laced, skeptical, and loathe to believe anything might come between her and Charles, hilarity ensues when Ruth encounters floating objects and the jealous spirit sending them her way.
It’s typical Noel Coward fare, as is his entire cast of colorful characters, like the eccentric Madame Arcati, famously portrayed by Angela Lansbury on Broadway.
The love triangle between Charles and his living and deceased wife, make for a captivating tale that ends with someone joining the spirit world.
The question is who.
Lori Sessions, theater and activities director at Taravalla, brings the popular drama back, and let audiences see how performers handle Coward’s droll material.
Open to all Tamarac residents, Blithe Spirit opens on Thursday, November 7, and runs through Saturday, November 9, with all performances beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the box office, which opens an hour before the show and cost $12.00 each. “Student Rush” tickets are available on Thursday only for $5.
J.P. Taravella is located at 10600 Riverside Drive in Coral Springs.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2021.10.21Emergency Nurses Recognized at Broward Health Coral Springs
- News2021.10.18Principal: Student Vehicles Parked in Tamarac Shopping Plaza will be Towed
- News2021.08.22J.P. Taravella Drama Selling Spots for ‘Huge’ Garage Sale and Craft Show
- News2021.08.10The Maternity Place at Broward Health Coral Springs Voted South Florida’s Best by Regional Family Magazine