By Agrippina Fadel
The city of Tamarac hosts its annual Veterans Day Ceremony to honor 19 million men and women who served in the military.
Held on Friday, November 11, at 10:30 a.m., the ceremony includes special guest speaker Jamal Sowell, USMC Afghanistan Veteran, and U.S. Navy Reserve Officer.
A sixth-generation Floridian, Officer Sowell comes from a family of warriors. His grandfather fought in World War II, his father served in Vietnam, and his brother was deployed to Iraq, where he became disabled.
Officer Sowell is a Pat Tillman Scholar and veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. He was in the United States Marine Corps, enlisting as a Private First Class, and completed his time in the Marines as a Captain. He currently serves as an officer in the United States Navy Reserve.
He is also a President of Indelible Business Solutions, a national management consulting firm providing audit, regulatory compliance, emergency management, health education, and technology advisory services to public and private sector organizations. Officer Sowell served as Florida’s Secretary of Commerce and Chief Executive Officer of Enterprise Florida, Inc.
At the Veterans Day event, the Tamarac Veterans Affairs Committee would be collecting donations of non-perishable food, toiletry items, socks, and hand towels to support the needs of homeless veterans.
Due to construction at Tamarac Veterans’ Park, the ceremony will be held at the Tamarac Community Center at 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. The ceremony is weather permitting, and the city encourages residents to monitor Tamarac’s social media channels for any changes and updates.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2022.12.06Broward Democratic Party Holds Annual Meeting and Holiday Party
- News2022.12.06South Florida Hindu Society Hosts Networking Event Dec. 10
- News2022.12.06Annual Light Up Tamarac Grand Chanukah Festival Includes LED Robots and 9-foot Menorah
- News2022.12.06City of Tamarac Holds Annual ‘Paws With Claus’ Holiday Party Dec. 10