By Agrippina Fadel
Broward County high schoolers can get 100 service hours when they pick up a dog for a 30-day foster.
Broward County Animal Care extended the offer they announced last week to attract even more local kids into the program.
Attiyya Atkins, spokesperson for the organization, said 12 students took advantage of the limited-time special. “That’s 12 dogs that went on a 30-day foster! That’s amazing for us. We also had a surge in Broward Buddies dates, with almost 25 that weekend,” she added.
Atkins said the shelter typically gives up to 80 hours of volunteer service credit to students if they foster a pet, adding that the special is offered to help the shelter’s overcapacity issue: Broward County Animal Care now has 137 dogs, while it can comfortably house 106.
Ricardo Matallana, from the shelter’s Foster Team, said teens get all the necessary materials for a successful foster when they pick up a pup.
“We provide leashes, collars, food, bowls, treats, adopt-me materials, and toys, as well as ‘how to foster’ information and paperwork,” he said, adding that the shelter also shares guides and behavior resources and instructs teens on locations they can visit to find someone to adopt the foster pet potentially.
Matallana said all participating teens will be well-equipped for a successful and positive dog fostering experience.
Atkins added that the foster program is an excellent opportunity for high school students to have a meaningful impact on the community and help alleviate the kennel stress for some dogs in the shelter’s care.
Broward County Animal Care is located at 2400 SW 42nd St. in Fort Lauderdale.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsDecember 3, 2023Ticket Alert: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Tribute Show at the Palace
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo