From WSVN – A man whose daughter is stationed in Afghanistan had to take his case all the way to “Help Me Howard” to get things done with the City of Tamarac’s building department.
Mike Casey’s daughter Amanda is in the Army and was sent to Afghanistan. He bought the property for Amanda in 2009 and put it in both their names and wanted to surprise her by replacing a couple of windows and a door on the home in Tamarac that he helps maintain for her, so he went to get a permit from the City.
Mike went to get the permit, but says he was told that since he didn’t live at that address, his daughter Amanda had to pull the permit. At the time, she was serving our country in Afghanistan. “It was a little hard to get that from overseas,” he said.
Mike was told he needed to get power of attorney from Amanda in Afghanistan. She had two drawn up by a military attorney, one to sell the house and the other to manage the property. Mike says he showed them both to the Tamarac Building Department. “And she comes back and tells me that they won’t accept the power of attorney.”
Mike was told the power of attorney form did not specifically mention he could pull a permit, stunning him.
“I have power of attorney of real estate, power of attorney to sell the home. Now I gotta get a separate power of attorney to acquire a building permit. It’s just ridiculous.”
You have to watch the report to find out what happens next, and what Public Defender Howard Finkelstein does to help this soldier and her father.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Dog Rescued from Tamarac Dumpster Now Safe with Foster Family