By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella baseball team could not have gotten off to a better start this year.
Competing in the High School Baseball Network First Pitch Elite Tournament, the Trojans defeated the reigning State and National Champions Marjory Stoneman Douglas 4-3 before following that up with a 6-1 victory over West Boca Raton Community High School, starting the season 2-0.
“It was nice to get a win against a nationally ranked team,” said Head Coach Joe Giummule. “This is why kids come to Taravella to play this type of schedule. The boys were excited for the opportunity to play this game.”
The University of Miami commit Chris Scinta made the start. He allowed one run and stuck out seven before Ryan Meekins recorded four punchouts in 2.2 innings.
Brandon Metivier recorded the final four outs behind the terrific defense from his team. In the bottom of the seventh, with MSD rallying, the Trojans cut down the potential tying run at the plate on a perfect relay from Ronald Martinez to Vincent Samuel to Matt Rubin.
Rubin also had the big hit with a two-run double in the third inning. Vincent Samuel recorded an RBI with a bases-loaded walk, and Jassiel Valbuena scored on an error.
Trojans defeat Stoneman Douglas 4-3 last night!! Notable hitters: Rubin 1-4 2B 2RBI, Marquez 2-2, 1-2. Pitchers: Scinta 3IP 7K 2BB 1H, Meekins 2.2IP 4K 1BB 1H, 1.1IP 2K 3H. Play of the Game: 7-5-2 (Martinez-Samuel-Rubin) relay to throw out the would be tying run! #JptPride #LFG pic.twitter.com/ybbDnys2jy
— Taravella Baseball (1-0) (@JptBaseball) February 23, 2022
JPT then beat West Boca Raton Community High School 6-1 on Wednesday. Despite struggling on the mound, Jacob Smith hit a go-ahead two-run home run in the fourth. Edgar Marquez and Anthony Quigley recorded RBI doubles later in the inning before Rubin tacked on a run-scoring single.
JPT added one more run in the sixth while Devin Gritz and Quigley combined to throw four shutout innings to close it out. Next, they face Doral Academy in the final on Friday, February 25, at 7 p.m. at Broward College. The Firebirds are 2-0 after wins over Miami Christian and St. John Paul Academy II.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Trojans Triumph in Season Opener After Baseball Team Dominates South Broward High
- NewsJanuary 26, 2024J.P. Taravella Sports Recap: District Championship, Senior Night & More
- NewsJanuary 16, 2024J.P. Taravella Varsity Teams Navigate Challenges and Triumphs in 2024 Season
- NewsJanuary 4, 2024Brandon Meyers Wins Broward County Bowler of the Year: Conference Awards Announced